Sunday, April 22, 2007

Guitar history / Music to the ears

I wonder why I play the guitar sometimes.

I got my first guitar after watching a couple of cca mates from secondary school play with their guitar. It is an old classical which was given to me by my ex-neighbour now friend's aunt. Played with it quite a lot, if you consider the basic learning playing. Spent don't know how much time learning "One Last Breath" by Creed on it. Right now its with Hanz, who's probably put it one corner already after getting his Ibanez SA120.

Brought the guitar to an overseas trip to Thailand, then found that they have much better guitars in the village. ORZ [Thailand Trip]

My first real guitar is a birthday/Christmas present from my parents. A Yamaha APX500, in translucent blue burst. An acoustic guitar with pickup. It's a great guitar, with clear ringing tone, but the smaller body sacrificed volume. I bought with the dream to play for the church band, but with a lack of determination and training, I didn't make it in. And.. another factor being the people in the church which I began to pull away from.

Used to bring it to cca stuff, church stuff, but no more. Now just play a bit of strumming with it just to appreciate the acoustic sound.

I bought a Ibanez budget SG shaped guitar (can't remember the model) 2nd hand. I don't count it as one of my guitars because I sold it off soon after I got it. I couldn't get used to its sound. It was an impulse purchase, which taught me a lot. Like always try out a guitar until you feel that its for you.

My second guitar is a guitar I saved up for. Creed being one of the first bands I actually listened to, when I saw the Paul Reed Smith Tremonti SE being sold, I just felt I had to get it. Mark Tremonti is the guitarist in Creed, which is now disbanded, but most of its members formed the new band Alter Bridge. And when I played it for myself, I just knew it was the guitar to get. Even with my inexperienced hands, the sound was marvelous. The fretboard and neck just felt welcoming. So I happily parted with $900.

Right now, I use it to play in a band. Did so recently with the guys from school, Jing Yi, Luqman, Melvin, Hanz.

My, I'm way off what I intended to write.

So anyway, I guess that helped clear my thoughts.

I think I first got my guitar because I wanted to show off a bit. Be someone who people look at and appreciate. I guess that's why the church band thing didn't even work out. Right now, I still do want to do that a bit. Nothing wrong with being liked, right? But something has changed. As I listened to more types of music, I find that that's secondary. I just want to make good music. Music that gives off emotion, that envelopes you and transports you to a different place altogether. That's real music to the ears.

I guess that's why I prefer simple piano, or acoustic pieces. Maybe its because I can't listen to anger and self destructive moods from metal, punk, emo type of songs.

So when it hit that the jamming sessions I've had recently didn't feel at all, I just want to make it do.

Yeah, that's all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seldom play your guitar now, but it's kept just next to my SA and free from dust, lol. (Y) Still use it for finger exercises though.